Forum Thread

I'm going to be a SS Newbie!

Reply to ThreadDisplaying 4 Posts
  • Are you sure you want to delete this post?
    Okay I am turning 62 in October. And I am planning on applying for Social Security in the very near future. I had someone tell me the other day to check on another option that I might have. I was married for 25 years to a certified mechanic. He made a lot more than I did each year. I divorced in 2009 due to his infidelity issues and I have never remarried. I was told I might be able to draw on HIS Social Security rather than mine and perhaps receive more. Does anyone know how I go about asking or comparing it to what I would get as an individual rather than a divorcee??? Thank you for any information you can steer me towards!!!!
  • Are you sure you want to delete this post?

    I found some information on the Social Security website under the "Social Security Independently Entitled Divorced Spouse's Benefit".

    I must be 62 years old and NOT currently married.

    Be divorced from a person who is at least 62 years old and has enough work credits to get Social Security benefits.

    Have been married to that person for at least 10 years and divorced for at least two continuous years.

    Not be entitled an equal or higher Social Security retirement benefit or disability benefit based on your own work.

  • Are you sure you want to delete this post?

    Correct. Actually, whenever you apply for benefits, the application should take care of this for you. You can use SSA's online calculator here, to see what benefits you would have based on your own earnings, if you like.

    Found an exert from a Fox Business article on Tapping Your Ex for Social Security Benefits… and Making the Most of It. You should find this helpful. (FRA stands for full retirement age)

    Make the Most of It

    If you begin a divorced spouse benefit before your FRA, Social Security will first check to see if you would get a bigger check based upon your own work history. You will receive whichever benefit is higher, and you are locked into this.

    However, waiting until you are full retirement age to begin Social Security could significantly increase your benefit. This is because if you are eligible for two types of Social Security benefits- say, one based upon your own earnings record and one based on your ex-spouse’s- once you reach FRA you can choose which type you want to receive.

    So, I would recommend thinking about what age you actually want to retire, if you have any choice that is. Your monthly payouts will be considerably larger, the longer you wait, up until the age of 65-67, depending on your birth year and month.
    And then when you file, do so as a divorced spouse, and the SSA dept will also check your work history, and pay you the higher amount.

    Information You Need To Apply For Spouse's Or Divorced Spouse's Benefits - Form SSA-2

  • Are you sure you want to delete this post?
    I would also recommend contacting the Social Security Administration and asking them what your best options are.